Ranked among the top 10 in china and top 500 in the world, Jilin University (JLU) is a national key university with the most enrollments (68,132) and the largest area (1,510 acres) in China. It is under the direct jurisdiction of MOE and on the list of "Project 211" and "Project 985". Founded in 1946 in Changchun-Capital City of Jilin Province, JLU has evolved into a comprehensive university owning eight campuses in six districts which are home to forty-three colleges.
Norman Bethune College of Medicine Jilin University is the former Norman Bethune Medical University, set in 1939, initially a military medical school. Supported by the MOH and MOE in China, it acts as an important base with considerable scale and academic ability in medical education and research.
The college presently has 2,063 teachers, including 502 professors, 661 associate professors, 171 doctoral degree advisors, 1 academician, 1 national best teacher and 2 Cheung Kong Scholars.
It offers 1 national key discipline in Neurology, 13 provincial key disciplines, and 5 national elite courses etc. It also has 1 Pathobiology key laboratory under MOE, 5 Clinical Medicine research and teaching offices, 5 experiment centers, 31 training or research institutions and 3 clinical medicine schools with over 5055 beds. The Clinical Medicine in JLU is a national sub-level key discipline, ranking as the 12th among medical schools in China. It wins the grant from the national project as a featured program.
The international students' education was started from the 50s of last century. Now among the 2020 medical students in the college, 465 are from foreign countries such as the United States, Britain, Colombia, Saudi Arabia, Congo, Sudan, Zambia, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Nepal, Somalia i.e. The first batch of MBBS program students arrived in the medical college in 2005 and they graduated smoothly in 2011. Jilin University has been approved by MOE as qualified university to offer MBBS program since 2007.
The medical college has undertaken all-around academic exchanges to deepen the international cooperation with Japan, Canada, the United States, Britain, Sweden, and Hong Kong etc 80 colleges or organizations in 26 countries or regions. Through cooperation, they have got a group of outstanding scientific research achievements in the stem cell tissue engineering, malignant tumor, the prostate gland disease prevention and control, and fungi study i.e.
JLU is recognized by WHO and the graduates of MBBS program are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, HPCSA, SCHS etc.
The curriculum system in Jilin University has undertaken reform since 2011. The teaching schedule is based on the American USMLE syllabus, combining theory and practice instead of the former teaching mode: learn theory firstly then practice.
The curriculum planning shall include the following three parts:
(1) Chinese culture and natural science courses, including an overview of China's culture, Chinese language, Chinese medical terminology, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, physical education, etc. It is required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(2) Basic medical sciences, behavioral science, humanities, social science and medical ethics, preventive medicine and clinical medicine. It is also required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(3) Internship. The institutions shall meticulously organize the reasonable arrangement of the internship. The duration of the internship is one year (at least 48 weeks).
In order to facilitate their learning and life in China and contact with patients in their medical practice, the Chinese language shall be a compulsory course during the whole undergraduate medical program in English for international students in China.
Human Anatomy, Histology & Embryology, Microbiology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Physiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Diagnosis, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Neurology, Community Medicine, Psychiatry, Rehabilitation Medicine, Emergency Medicine, etc.
The duration of internship is one year (at least 48 weeks). Students can choose to do it in China, their home country or any other country. During the internship period, the tuition fee is still RMB 29,000 per year. And, students have to take the final examination on Theory Test and Clinical Evaluation in JLU before graduation. For more detail, please visit the Internship and Career.
Application Fee: RMB 400
Tuition Fee: 29000 RMB/year
Medical Insurance: 600 RMB /year
Physical Examination: RMB 400 Accommodation Fee: 7200 RMB/year
Books fee: Around RMB 1000
Visa Fee: RMB 400
Cost of Living: 600-1,500 RMB/month
In Total: 46200 - 57000 RMB/year
Students in this program can apply for Jilin University Outstanding International Students Scholarship (First-level, Second-level, and Third-level Scholarships)
MBBS Degree: On completing the requirements of the teaching program and passing the graduation examinations successfully, international medical undergraduates will be granted a graduation certificate and conferred a medical degree by the JLU, if they meet the degree regulations of the university. The English copy of the degree will state MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Internship and Career
The internship for MBBS program students is 1 year (at least 48 weeks) with tuition fee of RMB 29,000 per year. Students can choose to do it in China, their home country or any other country.
In general, international students would like to do the internship in China. However, if students want to do the internship in other country, JLU needs to do a qualification evaluation on the hospital which student chooses. Students should choose a hospital recognized by WHO and complete the required internship weeks and content. An internship certificate is also necessary.
For the internship in China, there's no requirement on HSK level and if the student’s Chinese is not good, the university will arrange a translator to assist during the internship. As to the accommodation, students have free choice to live in campus or outside.
International students will do their internship in the teaching hospitals of JLU as following:
The three affiliated comprehensive hospitals totalize 5500 open beds for the patients and the internship students.
1. The First Affiliated Hospital (former First Clinical College of Norman Bethune Medical University)
2. The Second Affiliated Hospital (former Second Clinical College of Norman Bethune Medical University)
3. The Third Affiliated Hospital (China-Japan Union Hospital of Jilin University)
Apart from the three main teaching hospitals, there are more than 30 cooperative hospitals that provide internship resources for medical students of Norman Bethune College of Medicine.
And, students have to take the final examination on Theory Test and Clinical Evaluation in JLU.
After obtaining MBBS Degree, the graduates can apply to take the medical licensing examination in the medical council in order to get registered and practice medicine. According to the regulations in different countries, the students may need to do the degree accreditation first. A MBBS degree holder can find jobs in government as well as private hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities. Except this, one can also start his own clinic or pursue study for master's degree.
To help the students pass the medical license exams, JLU also holds 6-month special training program for USMLE
* Providing up-to-date medical knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes which are important to the provision of safe and effective patient care to all medical students.
* After completion, students can apply for license in USA, New Zealand and other countries where USMLE is valid. The USMLE is Valid for 7 years.
* Students can take any kind of competitive exams, (for example, PG/MD Entrance exam/ Medical council exam) after acquiring highly specialized medical knowledge and database.
* A good way to polish and refine the Medical English level and skill
* Students will be provided e-learning materials. Learning is much more important than downloading.
Subjects to be covered:
* Basic Science and Clinical Science Subjects.
Application Requirements and Materials
1. 18-30 years old
2. High school graduate or above, or have passed Grade Twelve (10+2)/FSc./A Level/WAEC or equivalent.
3. With an average score of 65%
4. Have basic English language ability
1. A photocopy of the applicant's passport;
2. Passport-size photo;
3. A photocopy of the official high school graduate certificate;
4. Academic record: a photocopy of the transcript (including courses taken and standard achieved);
5. Foreigner Physical Examination Record
How to Apply
CUCAS provides two kinds of application methods for international candidates to study English medium MBBS programs at China's universities. They can choose the quick and convenient online application system or the traditional offline application route-Apply via Email.
Online Application Procedures
To complete the online application process, you need to follow the four main sections below:
1. Click 'Apply Now' button on this page and login, if didn't have the account, register first.
2. Fill out the online application form with real and correct informaiton, including personal information, education background, language proficiency, etc.
If you're not sure how to fill out the form, please check if there are any instructions behind the blank.
3. Upload the required application materials
Please upload photocopies of required application materials according to the university's admissions criteria.
All the materials should be MS-Word (.doc), Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents, image files (.gif, .jpg), or compression files (.rar, .zip). Each file cannot exceed 8 MB (megabytes)
4. Make payment
CUCAS offers five types of payment methods. Please carefully select your preferred payment method and to make the payment.
Students who choose Western Union or Bank transfer as their payment method need to upload the payment receipt after you wire the money at the post office or bank.
5. Submit application
Please submit your application once the application fee is confirmed by CUCAS. To submit your application, please access My CUCAS-> My Applications by logging in CUCAS, click 'Continue' at 'Application Status' column, and go to the 'Submit Application' section. You will see a big 'Submit' button. Click the button and your application will be sent directly to the university.
Once you've submitted your application, please wait 2-4 weeks for the university to process your application. Once the university has made a decision, CUCAS will notify you by email. You can also track your application status by logging into your CUCAS account.
Offline Application Procedures
The steps for 'Apply via Email' are as follows:
1. Choose a MBBS program；
2. Click “Apply via Email” to download the fillable application form and documents;
3. Open forms in MS Word and fill in required information electronically, please make sure the information is accurate and correct to receive your JW 202 form;
4. Send us the completed form and other required application materials;
5. Pay the Application Fee and CUCAS Processing Fee, keep the receipt;
6. Send us the copy of receipt, and the school will process your application once receiving your bank receipt;
7. Check your application process via email periodically, and track with your admission status;
8. Wait for your admission notice from CUCAS within 5 workdays, and the JW 202 form will send to you in 2-6 weeks;
Email Address for MBBS Application: firstname.lastname@example.org