Fudan University (FUDAN), located in Shanghai, is one of the oldest and most selective universities in China. It was founded in 1905 in Shanghai. While the former Shanghai Medical University, established in 1927 was the first medical institute started by Chinese. In 2000, these two elite universities merged together to be a more comprehensive institution of higher education.
Called as "The university with the most democratic ideas and aristocratic temperament in China", Fudan is a national key university under the control of MOE and member of the "985 Project" and "211 Project". It enjoys an international reputation, ranking among the 100 top universities in the world. The university now has 4 campuses, occupying 603.7 acres. It consists of 28 schools and departments and 10 affiliated hospitals. The enrollment of full-time degree candidates is 26,362, including 3,633 foreign students. There are also twenty-nine research stations that offer postdoctoral fellowships.
Located to the east of the prosperous region in Shanghai-Xujiahui, the Shanghai Medical College of Fudan University has a long history and excellent study atmosphere. The college offers 10 undergraduate disciplines, 68 doctoral degree disciplines, 45 master's degree disciplines and 7 post-doctoral research stations. There are also 3 first-level national key disciplines, 12 national key sub-disciplines, 1 national key laboratory, 5 MOE key laboratories and 9 MOH key labs.
The high-level faculty of the college is composed of prominent teachers, including 250 professors, 2 academicians of Chinese Academy of Science, 4 academicians of Chinese Academy of Engineering, 10MOE Yangtze River professors, 10 national outstanding youth science fund winners, and 8 chief scientists in national key projects. In addition there exist 249 postgraduate candidate tutors and 451 master's degree candidate tutors.
In recent years, the Shanghai Medical School has carried on scientific research cooperation with Harvard University Medical school, the US Columbia University Medical school, the Australian Sydney University Medical school, Holland University of Groningen Medical school, Sweden Umea University Medical school, the Canadian Great Britain Columbia University, Japan Osaka University, Hong Kong University Li Jiacheng the Medical school, the Chinese University of Hong Kong Medical school and so on. The scholars visit each other mutually; the young teachers are selected for further training, and there are some exchange programs for the internship.
Shanghai Medical College was approved by MOE as qualified to offer MBBS program in English in 2008. Now about 80 international students from North America, Denmark, and Canada etc countries are studying on campus.
Fudan is recognized by WHO and the graduates of MBBS program are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, HPCSA, SCHS etc. For more details, please visit the Medical Licensing Examination Guide.
The curriculum planning shall include the following three parts:
(1) Chinese culture and natural science courses. In order to facilitate their learning and life in China and contact with patients in their medical practice, the Chinese language shall be a compulsory course during the whole undergraduate medical program in English for international students in China.
(2) Basic medical sciences, behavioral science, humanities, social science and medical ethics, preventive medicine and clinical medicine. It is also required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(3) Internship. The institutions shall meticulously organize the reasonable arrangement of the internship. The duration of the internship is one year (at least 48 weeks).
Chinese Culture Course & Natural Science Course
Brief introduction to China, Chinese, Medical Chinese, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Modern Biology Science, Computer and Physical Education.
Liberal Arts Course & Elementary Medicine Course
Medical Psychology, Medical Ethnics, Preventive Medicine, Cell Biology, Anthropotomy, Histoembryology, Physiology, Biologic Chemistry and Molecular Biology, Immunology, Genetics, Pathogenic Biology, Pathology, Pharmacology and Morbid Physiology.
Clinical Medicine Course
Diagnostics, Imaging Diagnostics, Medicine, Surgery, Gynecotokology, Pediatrics, Epidemiology, Psychiatry, Neurology and Traditional Chinese Medicine.
The duration of internship is one year (at least 48 weeks). Students can choose to do it in China, their home country or any other country. The tuition fee for internship is to be determined. And students need to pass the HSK 5 before internship.
For more detail, please visit the Internship and Career.
Outstanding Foreign Student Scholarship
Yiersan Chinese Culture Scholarship (for students from South Korea)
On completing the requirements of the teaching program and passing the graduation examinations successfully, international medical undergraduates will be granted a graduation certificate and conferred a medical degree by the host institution, if they meet the degree regulations of the host institution. The English copy of the degree will state MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Internship and Career
Students can choose to do the internship/training in China, their home country or any other country.
If international students would like to do the internship in China, Fudan University would help student choose a hospital. Students need to pass the HSK 5 to contact with the patients before internship.
Shanghai Medical School has 10 affiliated hospitals, with a total of nearly 7,000 beds and a group of world advanced medical equipment. In order to keep a stable and excellent team of clinical medicine faculty, the school has recruited 554 instructors, including 204 professors, 206 associate professor and 144 assistant professors.
If students want to do the internship in other country, Fudan University needs to do a qualification evaluation on the hospital which student chooses. And, students have to take the final examination on Theory Test and Clinical Evaluation in Fudan University.
After obtaining MBBS Degree, the graduates can apply to take the medical licensing examination in the medical council in order to get registered and practice medicine. According to the regulations in different countries, the students may need to do the degree accreditation first. A MBBS degree holder can find jobs in government as well as private hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities. Except this, one can also start his own clinic or pursue study for master's degree.
Application Requirements and Materials
1. High school graduate or above, qualified for university entrance, medically sound foreigners(applicants with color weakness and color blindness are not eligible to apply).
2. Emigrants from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan applying as international students must have obtained their current foreign citizenship before April 30, 2011. In addition, the applicant must have lived abroad for at least 2 years during the period between April 30, 2011 and April 30, 2015.
1. Two letters of recommendation
2. Personal statement
3. Proof Documents
4. Guarantee Statement. You can download a template or sample from here.
5. passport-sized photos
6. Photocopy of valid passport
7. Diploma of highest degree
8. Transcripts of highest degree
9. English proficiency test certificate
10. Evidence of being foreign citizens at birth
Note: An interview will be scheduled. The applicants will be informed about the exact date and time of the interview. Applicants in Shanghai will have a face-to-facinterview while other applicants will take the interview via Skype.
Qualified students will be selected on the basis of interview and application documents.
Application documents will not be returned.
How to Apply
CUCAS provides two kinds of application methods for international candidates to study English medium MBBS programs at China's universities. They can choose the quick and convenient online application system or the traditional offline application route-Apply via Email.
Online Application Procedures
To complete the online application process, you need to follow the four main sections below:
1. Click 'Apply Now' button on this page and login, if didn't have the account, register first.
2. Fill out the online application form with real and correct informaiton, including personal information, education background, language proficiency, etc.
If you're not sure how to fill out the form, please check if there are any instructions behind the blank.
3. Upload the required application materials
Please upload photocopies of required application materials according to the university's admissions criteria.
All the materials should be MS-Word (.doc), Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents, image files (.gif, .jpg), or compression files (.rar, .zip). Each file cannot exceed 8 MB (megabytes)
4. Make payment
CUCAS offers five types of payment methods. Please carefully select your preferred payment method and to make the payment.
Students who choose Western Union or Bank transfer as their payment method need to upload the payment receipt after you wire the money at the post office or bank.
5. Submit application
Please submit your application once the application fee is confirmed by CUCAS. To submit your application, please access My CUCAS-> My Applications by logging in CUCAS, click 'Continue' at 'Application Status' column, and go to the 'Submit Application' section. You will see a big 'Submit' button. Click the button and your application will be sent directly to the university.
Once you've submitted your application, please wait 2-4 weeks for the university to process your application. Once the university has made a decision, CUCAS will notify you by email. You can also track your application status by logging into your CUCAS account.
Offline Application Procedures
The steps for 'Apply via Email' are as follows:
1. Choose a MBBS program；
2. Click “Apply via Email” to download the fillable application form and documents;
3. Open forms in MS Word and fill in required information electronically, please make sure the information is accurate and correct to receive your JW 202 form;
4. Send us the completed form and other required application materials;
5. Pay the Application Fee and CUCAS Processing Fee, keep the receipt;
6. Send us the copy of receipt, and the school will process your application once receiving your bank receipt;
7. Check your application process via email periodically, and track with your admission status;
8. Wait for your admission notice from CUCAS within 5 workdays, and the JW 202 form will send to you in 2-6 weeks;
Email Address for MBBS Application: firstname.lastname@example.org