Central South University (CSU) is a comprehensive university directly under the administration of MOE, and also a member of "Project 211" and "Project 985". CSU's overall strength is ranked among the top 20 universities and its medical school (Xiangya School of Medicine) is the only sister university of Yale University in China. The university is set in the historical and cultural city-Changsha, Hunan province, which is the hometown of Chairman Mao. Covering an area of 3,360,000 square meters and has a total floor space of 1,980,000 square meters, 6 campuses are belonged to CSU.
Central South University Xiangya School of Medicine dates from the specialized Xiangya Medical School, founded by the Hunan Institute of Education and the Yale-China Association of America in 1914. It is a founder of western medicine education in China. Through a century's development, now the school possesses 6 colleges, 3 affiliated hospitals, 83 labs, 11 research institutes, 7 national and provincial training centers, 1 national key laboratory, 1 national engineering research center and 3 ministerial or provincial key labs. In addition, it has 8 national key disciplines, 13 provincial key disciplines and 10 undergraduate programs are all of top level in China. The clinical medicine discipline in CSU ranks the 9th among China medical schools.
Xiangya School of Medicine (SYSM) keeps 1773 staff (excluding affiliated hospitals); composed of 179 professors, 387 associate professors, 3 academicians, 1 chief scientist of national scientific research project, 5 members of Academic Degree Commission of the State Council, 167 doctoral tutors etc. 12,000 students are studying medicine in the school and they always top the list in the national medical graduates examination and clinical skill examinations.
XYSM has undertaken academic cooperation and exchange with more than 50 universities and research institutions in more than 20 countries. In particular, the school has a long and good relationship with the Yale-China Association and the China Medical Board (CMB) in the United States, and through the Yale-China Association, Xiangya has developed a broad cooperation with Yale University. Currently, there are about 50 international research and education programs in XYSM with a total funding of more than US $7,000,000. In the past 10 years, XYSM has welcomed about 4,000 visitors from approximately 20 countries, more than 1,900 scholars and experts have been sent abroad to conduct academic research and exchange, and more than 40 international academic conferences have been held in Xiangya.
The international education in CSU started from the 1960s and now there are over 800 international students from more than 90 countries on campus. The MBBS program in English has been open to international students since 2010 and it was approved by the MOE in 2007. Students are welcome to apply for this program which will start in autumn.
CSU is recognized by WHO and the graduates of MBBS program are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, HPCSA, SCHS etc.
As part of its medical education reform, XYSM is one of only two medical schools in China simultaneously implementing both the "global minimum essential requirements in medical education" (in accordance with the International Institute for Medical Education, USA) and the "international standard for undergraduate medical education" (in accordance with the World Federation for Medical Education).
And according to the regulations of the MOE, the curriculum planning shall include the following three parts:
(1) Chinese culture and natural science courses. In order to facilitate their learning and life in China and contact with patients in their medical practice, the Chinese language shall be a compulsory course during the whole undergraduate medical program in English for international students in China.
(2) Basic medical sciences, behavioral science, humanities, social science and medical ethics, preventive medicine and clinical medicine. It is also required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(3) Internship. The institutions shall meticulously organize the reasonable arrangement of the internship. The duration of the internship is one year (at least 48 weeks).
The duration of internship is one year (at least 48 weeks). Students can choose to do the internship/training in China, their home country or any other country. During the internship period, the tuition fee is still RMB 32,000 per year. And, students have to take the final examination on Theory Test and Clinical Evaluation in CSU before graduation. For more detail, please visit the Internship and Career.
Tuition Fee: 32,000 RMB/year Accommodation Fee: 15~40RMB/day (Double Room/Single Room)
Registration Fee: RMB500
Application Fee: RMB300
Insurance Fee: 600 RMB/year
Teaching Materials: 300—600RMB/ year
Cost of Living: 400~700Yuan/month for food
In Total: 46,100 ~ 58,000 RMB/year
MBBS Degree: upon graduation, students need to pass the HSK 3 (New HSK 4) to get the diploma.
On completing the requirements of the teaching program and passing the graduation examinations successfully, international medical undergraduates will be granted a graduation certificate and conferred a medical degree by SCU, if they meet the degree regulations of the university. The English copy of the degree will state MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Central South University was disapproved by the MOE on their qualification to recruit MBBS students in 2014
Internship and Career
The internship lasts for 1 year and students can choose to do it in China, their home country or any other country. The tuition fee for internship is still 32,000 RMB/year.
Mostly the students choose to do internship in China and the university will help arrange it in one of the affiliated hospitals, which are all of the top level in China. There's no requirement on the HSK level before internship, but normally students get the Chinese language ability equal to HSK3/HSK4 to contact with the patients.
The 3 affiliated hospitals of the Xiangya Medical School have a total of 4,000 sickbeds and 2 million outpatients per year. Out of them, the Xiangya Hospital and The Second Xiangya Hospital of Central South University are listed in the "The Best100 Hospitals" in China. There are also 8 clinical colleges and 24 teaching bases providing convenience for the clinical teaching and internship.
And, students have to take the final examination on Theory Test and Clinical Evaluation in SCU and pass the HSK 3 before graduation.
After obtaining MBBS Degree, the graduates can apply to take the medical licensing examination in the medical council in order to get registered and practice medicine. According to the regulations in different countries, the students may need to do the degree accreditation first. A MBBS degree holder can find jobs in government as well as private hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities. Except this, one can also start his own clinic or pursue study for master's degree.
Application Requirements and Materials
1. Aged 18 or above.
2. With an educational background equal to high school graduation in China or have passed Grade Twelve (10+2)/FSc./A Level/WAEC or equivalent.
3. At least 60% score in science subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Biology).
1. Health certificate
2. Photocopy of valid passport
3. Passport photo
4. High school academic transcript
5. High school graduate certificate
6. 6.English proficiency test certificate (For example, IELTS or TOEFL, only for applicant whose native language is not English)
How to Apply
CUCAS provides two kinds of application methods for international candidates to study English medium MBBS programs at China's universities. They can choose the quick and convenient online application system or the traditional offline application route-Apply via Email.
Online Application Procedures
To complete the online application process, you need to follow the four main sections below:
1. Click 'Apply Now' button on this page and login, if didn't have the account, register first.
2. Fill out the online application form with real and correct informaiton, including personal information, education background, language proficiency, etc.
If you're not sure how to fill out the form, please check if there are any instructions behind the blank.
3. Upload the required application materials
Please upload photocopies of required application materials according to the university's admissions criteria.
All the materials should be MS-Word (.doc), Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents, image files (.gif, .jpg), or compression files (.rar, .zip). Each file cannot exceed 8 MB (megabytes)
4. Make payment
CUCAS offers five types of payment methods. Please carefully select your preferred payment method and to make the payment.
Students who choose Western Union or Bank transfer as their payment method need to upload the payment receipt after you wire the money at the post office or bank.
5. Submit application
Please submit your application once the application fee is confirmed by CUCAS. To submit your application, please access My CUCAS-> My Applications by logging in CUCAS, click 'Continue' at 'Application Status' column, and go to the 'Submit Application' section. You will see a big 'Submit' button. Click the button and your application will be sent directly to the university.
Once you've submitted your application, please wait 2-4 weeks for the university to process your application. Once the university has made a decision, CUCAS will notify you by email. You can also track your application status by logging into your CUCAS account.
Offline Application Procedures
The steps for 'Apply via Email' are as follows:
1. Choose a MBBS program；
2. Click “Apply via Email” to download the fillable application form and documents;
3. Open forms in MS Word and fill in required information electronically, please make sure the information is accurate and correct to receive your JW 202 form;
4. Send us the completed form and other required application materials;
5. Pay the Application Fee and CUCAS Processing Fee, keep the receipt;
6. Send us the copy of receipt, and the school will process your application once receiving your bank receipt;
7. Check your application process via email periodically, and track with your admission status;
8. Wait for your admission notice from CUCAS within 5 workdays, and the JW 202 form will send to you in 2-6 weeks;
Email Address for MBBS Application: email@example.com