Southeast University (SEU) is one of the national universities directly subordinate to the MOE of China and listed in the "985 Project" and "211 Project". The origin of SEU can be traced back to 1902, when it was founded as Sanjiang Normal College. With the main campus situated in the center of the ancient capital city of Nanjing, the SEU now has 4 campuses covering a total area of 427 hectares.
Through a century's development, SEU has become a comprehensive university of high reputation with engineering as its focus. It is one of the top 10 universities in scientific research and development in China with over 20 national or provincial research institutes and a number of key research bases. At present, the total number of faculty and staff is about 6000 and the number of full-time students is over 26000.
The Medical School originates from the National Central University in 1935 and the later Nanjing Railway Medical College before it joining the SEU. Currently, the school has 6 basic medical departments as well as 12 clinical medical departments. It also boasts 14 research institutes which are dedicated to research, one teaching centre for medical experiments, and 2 key labs sponsored by Jiangsu province and MOE. There are 10 teaching hospitals which hold more than 10,000 inpatient beds totally, belonging to the clinical education center.
The enrolled full-time students in the Medical School are more than 2400, which consist of 1400 bachelor candidates, 622 master candidates, 143 doctoral candidates and 390 oversea students from more than 20 countries.
There are around 150 teachers and scientists who are dedicated to teaching and research on basic medicine, while over 1000 physicians who have dual duties of clinic and research in the teaching hospitals. Among the 80 professors, 150 associate professors, 30 doctoral tutors and 200 master tutors, about 70% of them have ever studied or worked abroad.
Based on the 70 years of experience, the Clinical Medicine in SEU owns a good fame. It is the key and special discipline of Jiangsu Province and ranks the 20th in China. The MBBS program has been open to international students since 2006 and in 2007 it was approved by the MOE as qualified university to offer MBBS program taught in English. The students in this program amount to 500, mainly from India, Pakistan, Uganda, Congo, South Africa etc.
In recent years, the school has established friendly cooperation relations with well-known medical colleges in the U.S., German and England etc to broaden the channels of clinical medicine teaching, research, facilities and talent training.
SEU is recognized by WHO and the graduates of MBBS program are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, HPCSA, SCHS etc.
Note: Once admitted, students are required to pay deposit in advance. Only after the payment can you get JW202 Form.
The curriculum planning shall include the following three parts:
(1) Chinese culture and natural science courses, including an overview of China's culture, Chinese language, Chinese medical terminology, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, physical education, etc. It is required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(2) Basic medical sciences, behavioral science, humanities, social science and medical ethics, preventive medicine and clinical medicine. It is also required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(3) Internship. The institutions shall meticulously organize the reasonable arrangement of the internship. The duration of the internship is one year (at least 48 weeks).
In order to facilitate their learning and life in China and contact with patients in their medical practice, the Chinese language shall be a compulsory course during the whole undergraduate medical program in English for international students in China.
Students can choose to do the internship/training in China, their home country or any other country.
If students want to do the internship in China, SEU would help student to choose a hospital from 20 hospitals in Nanjing.
If students want to do the internship in other country, SEU needs to do a qualification evaluation on the hospital which student chooses.
During the internship, the tuition fee is still RMB 30,600 per year and the accommodation of students who do internship in China will be arranged by the relative hospitals.
And, students have to take the final examination on Theory Test and Clinical Evaluation in SEU.
For more detail, please visit the Internship and Career.
Application Fee: RMB 400
Tuition Fee: 30600 RMB/year
Resident Permit: 400 RMB/year
Medical Insurance: 600 RMB/year
Physical Examination: RMB 400 Accommodation Fee: 6000 RMB (Double Room)
Books fee: Around RMB 1000
Visa Fee: RMB 400
Cost of Living: About RMB 800-1,500 per month
In Total: 49,400~ 57,800RMB/year
Southeast University Excellence Scholarship (Provided by SEU according to students’ performance).
MBBS degree: upon graduation, students need to pass the HSK 3 (New HSK 4) to get the diploma.
On completing the requirements of the teaching program and passing the graduation examinations successfully, international medical undergraduates will be granted a graduation certificate and conferred a medical degree by the SEU, if they meet the degree regulations of the university. The English copy of the degree will state MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Note: The requirement of the level of HSK may be changed according to the Ministry of Education of China.
Internship and Career
Students can choose to do the internship/training in China, their home country or any other country. During the internship, the tuition fee is still RMB 30,000 per year.
If students want to do the internship in China, SEU would help student to choose a hospital from 20 hospitals in Nanjing. Before internship, students need to pass the HSK Level 5; otherwise the university will arrange a Chinese student as translator to assist during the internship. The accommodation will be settled by the relative hospitals.
SEU host 10 affiliated hospitals of different categories and over 40 teaching hospitals around China. The affiliated Zhongda Hospital, which was set up in 1935, is one of the first hospitals in Jiangsu Province that were assessed as "Class A Grade 3" hospitals by the State Ministry of Public Health. Now it has 1000 beds, annual outpatients of 600,000.
If students want to do the internship in other country, SEU needs to do a qualification evaluation on the hospital which student chooses. And when the internship is over; they should finish the relative internship reports and bring back the internship certifications. As long as the students finish all the courses and credits in the 6 years, when the internship is ended, they can post their necessary graduation documents such as internship report to the university. After validation, the university will mail the graduation certificates and diplomas to the students if they meet the graduation requirements.
And, students have to take the final examination on Theory Test and Clinical Evaluation in SEU.
Admission and Application
2. Non-criminal record
3. Non-Chinese citizen
4. Over 16 years old
5. Minimum with an educational background equal to high school graduation in China, or must have passed Grade Twelve (10+2)/FSc./A Level or equivalent.
6. Not less than 60% score in science subjects (Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Biology)
1. Valid passport copy
2. Passport Photo
3. Senior high school diploma (original or notarized version, in notarized Chinese or English translation)
4. High school transcripts (original or notarized version, in notarized Chinese or English translation)
5. Authorized Copy of TOEFL score (500 or above in paper-based test/ 61 or above in computer-based test) , or IELTS score 5.0 or above for those applicants whose mother tongue or official language is not English.
6. Health Certificate
How to Apply
CUCAS provides two kinds of application methods for international candidates to study English medium MBBS programs at China's universities. They can choose the quick and convenient online application system or the traditional offline application route-Apply via Email.
Online Application Procedures
To complete the online application process, you need to follow the four main sections below:
1. Click 'Apply Now' button on this page and login, if didn't have the account, register first.
2. Fill out the online application form with real and correct informaiton, including personal information, education background, language proficiency, etc.
If you're not sure how to fill out the form, please check if there are any instructions behind the blank.
3. Upload the required application materials
Please upload photocopies of required application materials according to the university's admissions criteria.
All the materials should be MS-Word (.doc), Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents, image files (.gif, .jpg), or compression files (.rar, .zip). Each file cannot exceed 8 MB (megabytes)
4. Make payment
CUCAS offers five types of payment methods. Please carefully select your preferred payment method and to make the payment.
Students who choose Western Union or Bank transfer as their payment method need to upload the payment receipt after you wire the money at the post office or bank.
5. Submit application
Please submit your application once the application fee is confirmed by CUCAS. To submit your application, please access My CUCAS-> My Applications by logging in CUCAS, click 'Continue' at 'Application Status' column, and go to the 'Submit Application' section. You will see a big 'Submit' button. Click the button and your application will be sent directly to the university.
Once you've submitted your application, please wait 2-4 weeks for the university to process your application. Once the university has made a decision, CUCAS will notify you by email. You can also track your application status by logging into your CUCAS account.
Offline Application Procedures
The steps for 'Apply via Email' are as follows:
1. Choose a MBBS program；
2. Click “Apply via Email” to download the fillable application form and documents;
3. Open forms in MS Word and fill in required information electronically, please make sure the information is accurate and correct to receive your JW 202 form;
4. Send us the completed form and other required application materials;
5. Pay the Application Fee and CUCAS Processing Fee, keep the receipt;
6. Send us the copy of receipt, and the school will process your application once receiving your bank receipt;
7. Check your application process via email periodically, and track with your admission status;
8. Wait for your admission notice from CUCAS within 5 workdays, and the JW 202 form will send to you in 2-6 weeks;
Email Address for MBBS Application: firstname.lastname@example.org