Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU), originally known as Guangdong University, was founded in 1924 by Dr.Sun Yat-sen, a great democratic revolutionary leader of the 20th century. Comprising 4 campuses of 1525 acres, SYSU is located in Guangzhou of Guangdong province, neighboring Hong Kong and Macao.
Being one of the leading universities in China, SYSU is a comprehensive university directly under the MOE and listed in the "Project 985" and "Project 211". Now it has 36 colleges, 5 directly affiliated departments, 5 affiliated comprehensive hospitals and 3 affiliated specialized hospitals with a total of 8,202 beds. And the students on campus amount to over 70,000 including 1,585 from foreign countries.
Zhongshan School of Medicine (ZSSOM) lies in the north campus of SYSU, which is in Guangzhou. It has a history of more than 140 years and Dr Sun Yat-sun once studied here. The School covers an area of more than 40,000 square meters, and holds the high-tech equipments which worth over one billion RMB. There are also a bound of provincial-level, university-level, college-level laboratories, such as Educational-Ministry's Key Laboratory of the Prevention and Control of Tropical Diseases, and of the Stem Cells and Tissue Engineering.
Currently, it offers 15 full-time undergraduate specialties. The undergraduate courses cover 89 subjects, among which 4 have been entitled the honor of "National Elite Courses", and the clinical medicine is the construction spot of national-level featured major. It is one of the earliest and most influential disciplines in SYSU, honored as "Elite Specialty of the Province". It ranks the 4th among medical colleges in China.
In the school, there's a faculty of 353, including 43 professors, 56 associate professors, 121 technicians, 49 doctoral supervisors and 98 master supervisors etc. Many of them are the overseas personnel in the national "A Thousand Talents Program", Cheung Kong Scholars, the winners of National Outstanding Youth Fund, and the national well-reputed educators.
As to international cooperation and communication, the medical school has built close ties with more than 50 universities or institutions from the United States, Australia, England, Belgium, Brazil, Korea etc. And each year, the school invites some famous medical professors from University of London, Columbia University, University of Denver, University of Chicago, Indiana University to give lectures and trainings.
The school enrolled its first batch of MBBS program students in 2006 and suspended from 2008 to 2010 for construction. In 2007, it was approved by MOE as the first universities qualified to offer MBBS program in English for international students. The well strengthened MBBS program is open again in 2011and till now about 250 students from Nepal, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka etc are studying in this program.
SYSU is listed in the WHO World Directory of Medical Schools and the graduates of MBBS programs are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, HPCSA, SCHS etc.
The curriculum planning shall include the following three parts:
(1) Chinese culture and natural science courses, including an overview of China's culture, Chinese language, Chinese medical terminology, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, physical education, etc. It is required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(2) Basic medical sciences, behavioral science, humanities, social science and medical ethics, preventive medicine and clinical medicine. It is also required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(3) Internship. The institutions shall meticulously organize the reasonable arrangement of the internship. The duration of the internship is one year (at least 48 weeks).
In order to facilitate their learning and life in China and contact with patients in their medical practice, the Chinese language shall be a compulsory course during the whole undergraduate medical program in English for international students in China.
Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Pathology, Preventive Medicine, Immunology, Diagnostics, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics And Gynecology, Pediatrics, Chinese Medicine, etc.
The duration of internship is one year (at least 48 weeks). Students shall do it in China with tuition fee of RMB 38,000 per year. And before internship, students need to pass the HSK 4 and internship qualification exam held by the medical school. For more detail, please visit the Internship and Career.
MBBS Degree: upon graduation, students need to pass the HSK 4 to get the diploma.
On completing the requirements of the teaching program and passing the graduation examinations successfully, international medical undergraduates will be granted a graduation certificate and conferred a medical degree by the SYSU, if they meet the degree regulations of the university. The English copy of the degree will state MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Internship and Career
The duration of internship is one year (at least 48 weeks). Students shall do the internship in China and the university will arrange it in one of its affiliated hospitals. SYSU hosts 5 affiliated comprehensive hospitals and 3 specialized hospitals with a total of 8,202 beds.
Before the internship, students need to pass the HSK 4 and the internship qualification exam held by the medical school. The tuition fee for the internship year is still RMB 38,000 per year.
And, students have to take the final examination on Theory Test and Clinical Evaluation in SYSU before graduation.
After obtaining MBBS Degree, the graduates can apply to take the medical licensing examination in the medical council in order to get registered and practice medicine. According to the regulations in different countries, the students may need to do the degree accreditation first. A MBBS degree holder can find jobs in government as well as private hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities. Except this, one can also start his own clinic or pursue study for master's degree.
Application Requirements and Materials
1. Students should come from English-speaking countries. If not, a minimum score of 60 on the TOEFL iBT or a minimum IELTS score of 6 is required.
2. Age requirements: 18 years or above.
3. Senior high school graduation qualification.
4. Scores of English in high school records should be Grade C or above (70 points or above out of 100).
5. Scores of mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology in high school records should be Grade D or above (60 points or above out of 100), and Grade C or above in at least one of the subjects among mathematics, physics and chemistry.
6. Record of good behavior
7. Good health (including no color blindness)
8. Applicants who have graduated from high school but not yet received graduation diplomas should provide supplementary documentation from schools verifying their status.
9. Students are required to take an entrance exam organized by Sun Yat-sen University, which covers mathematics, chemistry, and physics.
1. Photocopy of valid passport
2. Passport photo
3. High school academic transcript
4. High school graduate certificate
5. English proficiency test certificate
How to Apply
CUCAS provides two kinds of application methods for international candidates to study English medium MBBS programs at China's universities. They can choose the quick and convenient online application system or the traditional offline application route-Apply via Email.
Online Application Procedures
To complete the online application process, you need to follow the four main sections below:
1. Click 'Apply Now' button on this page and login, if didn't have the account, register first.
2. Fill out the online application form with real and correct informaiton, including personal information, education background, language proficiency, etc.
If you're not sure how to fill out the form, please check if there are any instructions behind the blank.
3. Upload the required application materials
Please upload photocopies of required application materials according to the university's admissions criteria.
All the materials should be MS-Word (.doc), Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents, image files (.gif, .jpg), or compression files (.rar, .zip). Each file cannot exceed 8 MB (megabytes)
4. Make payment
CUCAS offers five types of payment methods. Please carefully select your preferred payment method and to make the payment.
Students who choose Western Union or Bank transfer as their payment method need to upload the payment receipt after you wire the money at the post office or bank.
5. Submit application
Please submit your application once the application fee is confirmed by CUCAS. To submit your application, please access My CUCAS-> My Applications by logging in CUCAS, click 'Continue' at 'Application Status' column, and go to the 'Submit Application' section. You will see a big 'Submit' button. Click the button and your application will be sent directly to the university.
Once you've submitted your application, please wait 2-4 weeks for the university to process your application. Once the university has made a decision, CUCAS will notify you by email. You can also track your application status by logging into your CUCAS account.
Offline Application Procedures
The steps for 'Apply via Email' are as follows:
1. Choose a MBBS program；
2. Click “Apply via Email” to download the fillable application form and documents;
3. Open forms in MS Word and fill in required information electronically, please make sure the information is accurate and correct to receive your JW 202 form;
4. Send us the completed form and other required application materials;
5. Pay the Application Fee and CUCAS Processing Fee, keep the receipt;
6. Send us the copy of receipt, and the school will process your application once receiving your bank receipt;
7. Check your application process via email periodically, and track with your admission status;
8. Wait for your admission notice from CUCAS within 5 workdays, and the JW 202 form will send to you in 2-6 weeks;
Email Address for MBBS Application: firstname.lastname@example.org