Located in Suzhou or Soochow, an ancient city popularly called "the Paradise on Earth", Soochow University (SUDA) is a key comprehensive provincial university in Jiangsu Province and also one of China's top 100 universities under the "Project 211" directed by the Ministry of Education. It consists of five campuses with a total area of more than 513.6 acres and 385.4 acres of building area. Having an enrollment of 50,000, SUDA accepts over 2,000 international students every year.
Better equipped and more robust, Soochow University has grown into a first-rate university in China. In the past 111 years, this university has developed over 300,000 talents, including many famous scholars and prominent figures in science, education and culture.
Medical College of Soochow University (MCSU) originated from the former Suzhou Medical College, which had a history of 90 years. Under the college, there are 4 departments of clinical medicine, 14 affiliated hospitals and 61 teaching hospitals, 10 preventative medicine intern bases, 10 forensic medicine intern bases, 10 pharmacy intern bases and 18 off-campus intern bases for its biomedical teaching and research. It now has an enrollment of more than 2280 Graduate students, 4700 undergraduates and 750 international students in MCSU.
Clinical Medicine is a Brand Specialty in Jiangsu Province and ranks the 18th in China. There are 3 national key disciplines-- internal medicine (homeopathy), radiology and osteological surgery; 4 provincial-ministry level key disciplines and 2 provincial first-level key disciplines. MCSU has 20 Scientific Research Institutions, 10 Key Labs at city level and 6 innovation teams in MCSU. The college has started to recruit international students in MBBS program taught in English since 2004 and it was approved by the MOE in 2008.
SUDA is listed in the WHO World Directory of Medical Schools and the graduates of MBBS program are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, HPCSA, SCHS etc.
The college has a staff team of 865, among them there are 46 professors, 160 associate professors, 129 with doctoral degree and 269 with master's degree. There are also 1 Academician of Chinese Academy of Engineering, 40 doctoral supervisors and 148 master's supervisors. Constantly, the college invites professors and experts from abroad to give lectures, training, or academic reports and cooperates with the institutions home and abroad for academic exchange.
The curriculum planning shall include the following three parts:
(1) Chinese culture and natural science courses. In order to facilitate their learning and life in China and contact with patients in their medical practice, the Chinese language shall be a compulsory course during the whole undergraduate medical program in English for international students in China.
(2) Basic medical sciences, behavioral science, humanities, social science and medical ethics, preventive medicine and clinical medicine. It is also required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(3) Internship. The institutions shall meticulously organize the reasonable arrangement of the internship. The duration of the internship is one year (at least 48 weeks).
Chinese, Medical Chinese, Survey of China, Advanced Mathematics, Physiology, Biochemistry, Regional Anatomy, Pathology, Medical Microbiology, Medical Immunology, Medical Parasitology, Pathophysiology, Basic and Clinical pharmacology, Diagnostics, General Surgery, Radiology, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Oncology, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Infectious Diseases, Ophthalmology, etc.
Students in this program can apply for Jiangsu Province Government Jasmine Scholarship.
MBBS degree: On completing the requirements of the teaching program and passing the graduation examinations successfully, international medical undergraduates will be granted a graduation certificate and conferred a medical degree by SUDA, if they meet the degree regulations of the university. The English copy of the degree will state MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Note: The planning enrollment quota of spring semester is 35. If the number of students is less than 35, the admitted students will be enrolled in fall semester.
Internship and Career
After 5 years of course study, students need to take one year of internship in the hospital. The medical college has 14 affiliated hospitals and 61 teaching hospitals, distributed in Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Shanghai and Beijing.
After graduation and obtaining MBBS Degree, the graduates can apply to take the medical licensing examination in the medical council in order to get registered and practice medicine. According to the regulations in different countries, the students may need to do the degree accreditation first. A MBBS degree holder can find jobs in government as well as private hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities. Except this, one can also start his own clinic or pursue study for master's degree.
Application Requirements and Materials
1. The student must have graduated from a senior high school.
2. The average score of examinations in high school was more than 70%.
3. The student is able to pursue the study in English and is ready to learn Chinese.
4. The student had good performance during high school study and has good adaptive capacity.
5. The student is able to bear all the costs of studying (tuition fees, accommodation, living expenses, etc.) by himself/herself.
6. The student has a good health condition.
1. High school graduate certificate
2. High school academic transcript
3. Photocopy of valid passport
4. Passport photo
How to Apply
CUCAS provides two kinds of application methods for international candidates to study English medium MBBS programs at China's universities. They can choose the quick and convenient online application system or the traditional offline application route-Apply via Email.
Online Application Procedures
To complete the online application process, you need to follow the four main sections below:
1. Click 'Apply Now' button on this page and login, if didn't have the account, register first.
2. Fill out the online application form with real and correct informaiton, including personal information, education background, language proficiency, etc.
If you're not sure how to fill out the form, please check if there are any instructions behind the blank.
3. Upload the required application materials
Please upload photocopies of required application materials according to the university's admissions criteria.
All the materials should be MS-Word (.doc), Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents, image files (.gif, .jpg), or compression files (.rar, .zip). Each file cannot exceed 8 MB (megabytes)
4. Make payment
CUCAS offers five types of payment methods. Please carefully select your preferred payment method and to make the payment.
Students who choose Western Union or Bank transfer as their payment method need to upload the payment receipt after you wire the money at the post office or bank.
5. Submit application
Please submit your application once the application fee is confirmed by CUCAS. To submit your application, please access My CUCAS-> My Applications by logging in CUCAS, click 'Continue' at 'Application Status' column, and go to the 'Submit Application' section. You will see a big 'Submit' button. Click the button and your application will be sent directly to the university.
Once you've submitted your application, please wait 2-4 weeks for the university to process your application. Once the university has made a decision, CUCAS will notify you by email. You can also track your application status by logging into your CUCAS account.
Offline Application Procedures
The steps for 'Apply via Email' are as follows:
1. Choose a MBBS program；
2. Click “Apply via Email” to download the fillable application form and documents;
3. Open forms in MS Word and fill in required information electronically, please make sure the information is accurate and correct to receive your JW 202 form;
4. Send us the completed form and other required application materials;
5. Pay the Application Fee and CUCAS Processing Fee, keep the receipt;
6. Send us the copy of receipt, and the school will process your application once receiving your bank receipt;
7. Check your application process via email periodically, and track with your admission status;
8. Wait for your admission notice from CUCAS within 5 workdays, and the JW 202 form will send to you in 2-6 weeks;
Email Address for MBBS Application: firstname.lastname@example.org