Fujian Medical University (FJMU) is a provincial key medical university in the coastal business city-Fuzhou, the capital city of Fujian Province. Developing from 1939, FJMU now has two campuses in Shangjie and Taijiang, occupying a total land area of about 87 hectares and a building area of 379,000 square meters.
The university is composed of 19 schools and departments, and an efficient clinical teaching and practice network, which includes 1 stomatological hospital, 26 clinical teaching hospitals and 10 affiliated hospitals, of which 9 are ranked among the top-level hospitals.
Currently, FJMU has a total number of more than 20,000 full-time students including 300 international students Bangladesh, Kenya, India, Pakistan etc. The international education was started in 1998 and the MBBS program in English was approved to open in 2009.
The clinical medicine teaching in FJMU is held by 5 Clinical Medicine colleges and the Union Clinical Medical College is the main base for clinical teaching. Owning the rich teaching resources and qualified teachers, the college offers a variety of disciplines covering clinical medicine, image, pharmacology, anesthesia, inspection, oralogy and nursing in different levels. It has a faculty team of 641, including 346 with senior professional titles, 140 professorsa and associate professors, 18 doctoral tutors, 96 master tutors and 32 recipients of special subsidies from the State Council. There are also 4 large clinical teaching hospitals used as the teaching bases for undergraduate course.
FJMU has also attached great importance to academic research. It hosts 2 post-doctor research centers in clinical medicine and preclinical medicine, 71 research institutions, 1 national key construction discipline, 3 key clinical specialties, 2 provincial key disciplines under the "Project 211", 13 key disciplines of provincial Department of Education, 1 key laboratory of the MOE, 1 laboratory under the Fujian Province, 2 labs co-built by the province government and the MOE, and 5 labs under the provincial Department of Education etc. They have undertaken great scientific tasks and made remarkable achievement. Since 2001, more than 100 scientific research programs have been rewarded.
The University has developed collaborative relationships for scientific research and talents training with some universities and medical research institutes from the United States, Japan, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Australia, and Canada and so on. In the past 5 years, more than 160 groups, as well as 700 people from the United States, Japan, etc. have visited the University, given lectures and carried out other academic activities.
FJMU is recognized by WHO and the graduates of MBBS program are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, HPCSA, SCHS etc.
The curriculum planning shall include the following three parts:
(1) Chinese culture and natural science courses. In order to facilitate their learning and life in China and contact with patients in their medical practice, the Chinese language shall be a compulsory course during the whole undergraduate medical program in English for international students in China.
(2) Basic medical sciences, behavioral science, humanities, social science and medical ethics, preventive medicine and clinical medicine. It is also required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(3) Internship. The institutions shall meticulously organize the reasonable arrangement of the internship. The duration of the internship is one year (at least 48 weeks).
Anatomy, Genetics, Embryology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Pharmacology, Immunology, Forensic Medicine, Microbiology & Parasitology, Community Medicine, Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Paediatrics, Radiology, Dentistry, Ear, Nose & Throat, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Psychiatry, Dermatology, Emergency Medicine, Anaesthesiology etc.
Internship: The internship will be arranged by the university. It lasts for one year (at least 48 weeks) and the location and tuition fee during the internship period are to be determined.
MBBS Degree: upon graduation, students need to pass the HSK 3 to get the diploma.
On completing the requirements of the teaching program and passing the graduation examinations successfully, international medical undergraduates will be granted a graduation certificate and conferred a medical degree by the host institution, if they meet the degree regulations of the host institution. The English copy of the degree will state MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Note:The course requires students to pay tuition or admission deposit before issuing admission package.
Internship and Career
The internship will be arranged by the university. It lasts for one year (at least 48 weeks) and the location and tuition fee during the internship period are to be determined.
The amount of hospitals under the control of FJMU is 53, of which 4 are directly affiliated hospitals, 9 are non-directly affiliated hospitals, 29 are teaching hospitals and 11 are training hospitals. These hospitals form a steady network of teaching bases for clinical teaching and internship.
After obtaining MBBS Degree, the graduates can apply to take the medical licensing examination in the medical council in order to get registered and practice medicine. According to the regulations in different countries, the students may need to do the degree accreditation first. A MBBS degree holder can find jobs in government as well as private hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities. Except this, one can also start his own clinic or pursue study for master's degree.
Application Requirements and Materials
Non-Chinese citizens with a valid foreign passport and in good health;
Senior high school graduates or with educational background at above level, or equivalent to that of a Chinese senior high school graduate or above, with results of B or above (more than 70 for a hundred-mark system);
Applicants must possess with a relatively higher level of proficiency in English. Certificates for English learning throughout the primary and high schools or certificate for English proficiency test shall be produced for non-English native speakers.
1. Photocopy of valid passport
2. Passport photo
3. High school academic transcript
4. High school graduate certificate
5. Certification of no criminal record
6. English proficiency test certificate
7. Other materials
8. Students Information Form (You can download a template or sample from here.)
9. Letter of recommendation
How to Apply
CUCAS provides two kinds of application methods for international candidates to study English medium MBBS programs at China's universities. They can choose the quick and convenient online application system or the traditional offline application route-Apply via Email.
Online Application Procedures
To complete the online application process, you need to follow the four main sections below:
1. Click 'Apply Now' button on this page and login, if didn't have the account, register first.
2. Fill out the online application form with real and correct informaiton, including personal information, education background, language proficiency, etc.
If you're not sure how to fill out the form, please check if there are any instructions behind the blank.
3. Upload the required application materials
Please upload photocopies of required application materials according to the university's admissions criteria.
All the materials should be MS-Word (.doc), Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents, image files (.gif, .jpg), or compression files (.rar, .zip). Each file cannot exceed 8 MB (megabytes)
4. Make payment
CUCAS offers five types of payment methods. Please carefully select your preferred payment method and to make the payment.
Students who choose Western Union or Bank transfer as their payment method need to upload the payment receipt after you wire the money at the post office or bank.
5. Submit application
Please submit your application once the application fee is confirmed by CUCAS. To submit your application, please access My CUCAS-> My Applications by logging in CUCAS, click 'Continue' at 'Application Status' column, and go to the 'Submit Application' section. You will see a big 'Submit' button. Click the button and your application will be sent directly to the university.
Once you've submitted your application, please wait 2-4 weeks for the university to process your application. Once the university has made a decision, CUCAS will notify you by email. You can also track your application status by logging into your CUCAS account.
Offline Application Procedures
The steps for 'Apply via Email' are as follows:
1. Choose a MBBS program；
2. Click “Apply via Email” to download the fillable application form and documents;
3. Open forms in MS Word and fill in required information electronically, please make sure the information is accurate and correct to receive your JW 202 form;
4. Send us the completed form and other required application materials;
5. Pay the Application Fee and CUCAS Processing Fee, keep the receipt;
6. Send us the copy of receipt, and the school will process your application once receiving your bank receipt;
7. Check your application process via email periodically, and track with your admission status;
8. Wait for your admission notice from CUCAS within 5 workdays, and the JW 202 form will send to you in 2-6 weeks;
Email Address for MBBS Application: email@example.com