Guangxi Medical University (GXMU), founded in 1934, is one of the 22 oldest medical institutes in China and one of the first 8 qualified to enroll international students. It is located in a border city-Nanning, capital of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. The school covers an area of 98.8 acres and enrolls 8,800 students. Beginning from 1978, the international education in GXMU has become rather mature and complete. Currently, more than 300 foreign students from Vietnam, Indonesia, Nepal, India, Africa, Oceania, Europe and the United States are studying here.
The university now has 26 colleges, 4 directly affiliated hospitals, 7 non-directly affiliated hospitals, 48 teaching hospitals and practice bases. It builds a series of key disciplines and labs with Oncology Phymatology as the national key discipline, Clinical Medicine as the provincial elite discipline and preventive medicine as the provincial key discipline. It sets medical science experiment center, standard laboratory animal center, and 7 research institutions for cardiovascular prevention, snake venom, cancer prevention and control as well as 14 research laboratories for hemoglobinopathy. Among them, there is 1 key laboratory co-built by the province and ministry, and 6 provincial key laboratories. The staff team contains 1027 teachers, including 279 professors, 306 associate professors, 136 doctoral supervisors and 573 master’s supervisors.
The Clinical Medicine in Chinese was set up in 1978, and the English-medium program started in 2001. GXMU has rich experiences on medical education. And, there were graduates for years; the average rate of acquiring Medical License is 90%. In 2008, the English-medium MBBS program is recognized by MOE as the first batch of qualified universities. Now it recruits about 700 international students from India, Nepal, Vietnam, Indonesia, Mauritius and Sri Lanka etc.
GXMU is recognized by WHO and the graduates of MBBS program are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, HPCSA, SCHS etc.
The curriculum planning shall include the following three parts:
(1) Chinese culture and natural science courses. In order to facilitate their learning and life in China and contact with patients in their medical practice, the Chinese language shall be a compulsory course during the whole undergraduate medical program in English for international students in China.
(2) Basic medical sciences, behavioral science, humanities, social science and medical ethics, preventive medicine and clinical medicine. It is also required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(3) Internship. The institutions shall meticulously organize the reasonable arrangement of the internship. The duration of the internship is one year (at least 48 weeks). Main Courses:
Medical Mathematics, Cell Biology, Systematic Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Microbiology, Pathology, Medical Genetics, Experimental Physiology, Pharmacology, Pathophysiology, Parasitology, Regional Anatomy, Diagnostics, Image Diagnostics, Nuclear Medicine etc.
Download the GXMU MBBS Curriculum.xls.
Internship and Career:
Students need to do one year's internship in China, their home country or any other countries. GXMU highly recommends students to do it in China and they will be arranged in The First Affiliated Hospital, which is one of the 100 best hospitals in China. And before internship, students need to pass HSK 3 to contact with the patients. See more details, please visit the Internship and Career.
Tuition Fee: 30, 000 RMB/Year
Accommodation Fee: 5,740~12,300 RMB/Year (Single Room); 9,840 RMB/Year (Double Room)
Application Fee: USD 65
Books Fee: RMB700
HSK Examination: RMB 250/Time Administration Fee: RMB 10000 (paid only by those who go back to their own countries for internship)
Insurance Fee: RMB600 per year.
Cost of Living: 600~1,000 RMB/Month
In Total: 44,890~56,000 RMB/Year
Note: The first term is specifically set for Chinese language learning and no medical courses are taken. The term lasts from Feb. 21st to Jul. 1st and the tuition fee for it is 6,250 RMB.
On completing the requirements of the teaching program and passing the graduation examinations successfully, international medical undergraduates will be granted a graduation certificate and conferred a medical degree by GXMU, if they meet the degree regulations of the university. The English copy of the degree will state MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Internship and Career
Students need to do one year's internship in China, their home country or any other countries. GXMU highly recommends students to do it in China and they will be arranged in The First Affiliated Hospital, which is one of the 100 best hospitals in China. And before internship, students need to pass HSK 3 to contact with the patients.
If students want to do the internship in other country, comprehensive hospitals are available, however, GXMU need to do an qualification evaluation on the hospital which student choose. The administration fee is RMB 10,000 for those who do their internship in their home country.
And, students have to take the final examination on Theory Test and Clinical Evaluation in GXMU.
After graduation and obtaining MBBS Degree, the graduates can apply to take the medical licensing examination in the medical council in order to get registered and practice medicine. According to the regulations in different countries, the students may need to do the degree accreditation first. A MBBS degree holder can find jobs in government as well as private hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities. Except this, one can also start his own clinic or pursue study for master's degree.
Application Requirements and Materials
1. Foreign citizen, 16 years of age and above, healthy, with educational background of high school and above or have passed Grade Twelve (10+2)/FSc./A Level/WAEC or equivalent..
2. Score of each of the four courses, namely English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
1. Health certificate
2. Photocopy of valid passport
3. Passport photo
4. High school academic transcript
5. High school graduate certificate
How to Apply
CUCAS provides two kinds of application methods for international candidates to study English medium MBBS programs at China's universities. They can choose the quick and convenient online application system or the traditional offline application route-Apply via Email.
Online Application Procedures
To complete the online application process, you need to follow the four main sections below:
1. Click 'Apply Now' button on this page and login, if didn't have the account, register first.
2. Fill out the online application form with real and correct informaiton, including personal information, education background, language proficiency, etc.
If you're not sure how to fill out the form, please check if there are any instructions behind the blank.
3. Upload the required application materials
Please upload photocopies of required application materials according to the university's admissions criteria.
All the materials should be MS-Word (.doc), Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents, image files (.gif, .jpg), or compression files (.rar, .zip). Each file cannot exceed 8 MB (megabytes)
4. Make payment
CUCAS offers five types of payment methods. Please carefully select your preferred payment method and to make the payment.
Students who choose Western Union or Bank transfer as their payment method need to upload the payment receipt after you wire the money at the post office or bank.
5. Submit application
Please submit your application once the application fee is confirmed by CUCAS. To submit your application, please access My CUCAS-> My Applications by logging in CUCAS, click 'Continue' at 'Application Status' column, and go to the 'Submit Application' section. You will see a big 'Submit' button. Click the button and your application will be sent directly to the university.
Once you've submitted your application, please wait 2-4 weeks for the university to process your application. Once the university has made a decision, CUCAS will notify you by email. You can also track your application status by logging into your CUCAS account.
Offline Application Procedures
The steps for 'Apply via Email' are as follows:
1. Choose a MBBS program；
2. Click “Apply via Email” to download the fillable application form and documents;
3. Open forms in MS Word and fill in required information electronically, please make sure the information is accurate and correct to receive your JW 202 form;
4. Send us the completed form and other required application materials;
5. Pay the Application Fee and CUCAS Processing Fee, keep the receipt;
6. Send us the copy of receipt, and the school will process your application once receiving your bank receipt;
7. Check your application process via email periodically, and track with your admission status;
8. Wait for your admission notice from CUCAS within 5 workdays, and the JW 202 form will send to you in 2-6 weeks;
Email Address for MBBS Application: firstname.lastname@example.org