Nanjing Medical University (NJMU) is a key university under Jiangsu Province. It was originally founded in Zhenjiang in 1934 and in 1957 it moved to Nanjing, one of the four ancient capitals in China history. Currently it has become a comprehensive university with the disciplines of Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Biology, Management and Law, enjoying high reputation in domestic and abroad.
The university consists of two campuses covering 261.9 acres and comprised of an independent college and 17 schools, among them 7 are clinical medical schools. It also has 24 affiliated hospitals and over 40 teaching hospitals in Jiangsu, Shanghai, Zhejiang and Shandong etc.
Today Nanjing Medical University has 198 full professors, 549 associate professors, 94 supervisors of doctoral programs and 278 supervisors of master's programs. Student enrollment is over 13,000. The university started to enroll international students since 2002, and now about 400 students from India, Nepal, South Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia, the United States, Japan, Pakistan and other countries are studying in NJMU.
In addition, NJMU offers 1 key laboratory at ministry level, 2 key laboratories co-established by the ministry and the provincial government, 3 national key disciplines, 7 provincial key disciplines, and 7 provincial key laboratory/ research centers. Now, there are also 11 research institutes and 16 research centers. The Preclinical Medicine, Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Clinical Medicine and Oral Medicine are preponderant disciplines in Jiangsu Province and ranking the 14th in China.
Nanjing Medical University takes an active role in developing relationships with higher- education institutions in China and abroad. Since the 1980s, the university has conducted academic exchanges with hospitals and medical institutions in the U.S.A, Japan, Canada, France, Germany, U.K, Austria, Australia, Russia, Hong Kong, and elsewhere. Several prestigious experts and scholars have been conferred Nanjing Medical University Honorary or Guest Professorships. The university has sent 500 faculty members abroad for short visits or long-term study.
In 2007, Nanjing Medical University was approved by the MOE as qualified university to offer MBBS program in English. It is among the first batch of university get this improvement. Since 2007 till now, about 375 international students are enrolled in this program.
NJMU is recognized by WHO and the graduates of MBBS program are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, HPCSA, SCHS etc.
The curriculum planning shall include the following three parts:
(1) Chinese culture and natural science courses. In order to facilitate their learning and life in China and contact with patients in their medical practice, the Chinese language shall be a compulsory course during the whole undergraduate medical program in English for international students in China.
(2) Basic medical sciences, behavioral science, humanities, social science and medical ethics, preventive medicine and clinical medicine. It is also required to pass the examinations of these courses respectively.
(3) Internship. The institutions shall meticulously organize the reasonable arrangement of the internship. The duration of the internship is one year (at least 48 weeks).
China profile, Basic chemistry, Higher mathematics, Chinese language, Computer science, Medical physics, Chinese medicine language, Cell biology, Systematic anatomy, Histology and embryology, Regional anatomy, Biochemistry and molecular biology, Physiology, Pathology, Immunology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Medical genetics, Parasitology, Pathophysiology, Medical ethics, Basic surgery, Diagnostics, Nuclear medicine, Forensic medicine, Dermatology and venereology, Epidemiology, Medical statistics, Community medicine, Law of medicine, Radiology, Psychiatry, Neurology, Anesthesiology, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology (E.N.T.), Stomatology, Internal medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Lemology, Rehabilitation medicine, Pediatrics, Organic chemistry, Public health management, Hygienics, Traditional Chinese medicine, Emergency medicine.
Note: Every semester's curriculums will be adjusted according to the university arrangement at that time.
The duration of internship is one year (at least 48 weeks). Students can choose to do the internship/training in China, their home country or any other country. For internship in China, students need to pay the tuition fee of 34,000 RMB/year, for internship in other countries; students only need to pay for the examination fee of USD 500. And students should come back to take the final examination on Theory Test (internal medicine, surgery, surgery, and paediatrics) and Clinical Evaluation.
For more detail, please visit the Internship and Career.
Tuition: 34000 RMB per year Accommodation fee: 5000 - 8000 RMB/year
Refundable deposit: 4000 RMB
Application Fee: 85 USD
Residence Permit Application Fee: Included in the tuition fee
Books Fee: Free
Cost of Living: 800~1000RMB/year
In Total: 53,110~58,510 RMB/year
In the first academic year our university supplies the following things for free:
3) Hospitalization insurance
4) Laboratory clothes
5) Physical examination
6) Residence permission for one year
7) Campus card (There is 200 RMB in it. This card can be used to buy food, bath and borrow the books from University's library.)
Outstanding Foreign Student Scholarship for Undergraduates
MBBS degree: upon graduation, students need to pass the HSK 3 to get the diploma.
On completing the requirements of the teaching program and passing the graduation examinations successfully, international medical undergraduates will be granted a graduation certificate and conferred a medical degree by the NJMU, if they meet the degree regulations of the university. The English copy of the degree will state MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Internship and Career
The internship lasts for one year (at least 48 weeks), and students can choose to do it in China, their home country or any other country. If in China, students should pass the HSK5 before internship and the tuition fee is 34,000 RMB/year. The university will help arrange it in one of the affiliated hospitals.
The following teaching hospitals (details) are the allotted places where the international students will do their internship:
1. The First Affiliated Hospital of NMU (Founded in 1936, 19.9 acres, 1850 beds, top level)
2. The Second Affiliated Hospital of NMU (9.14 acres, 1200 beds, top level)
3. Nanjing First Hospital (14.5 acres, 1170 beds, top level)
4. Nanjing Drum Tower Hospital (Founded in 1892, 74.1 acres, 1800 beds)
For internship in other countries; students only need to pay for the examination fee of USD 500. And students should come back to take the final examination on Theory Test (internal medicine, surgery, surgery, and paediatrics) and Clinical Evaluation.
Students are required to pass HSK (band 3) before graduation; otherwise they cannot get the degree. After obtaining MBBS Degree, the graduates can apply to take the medical licensing examination in the medical council in order to get registered and practice medicine. According to the regulations in different countries, the students may need to do the degree accreditation first. A MBBS degree holder can find jobs in government as well as private hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities. Except this, one can also start his own clinic or pursue study for master's degree.
Applicaton Requirements and Materials
1. Finished high school studies, aged under 30 and healthy.
2. An average 70% score in English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
1. Health certificate
2. Photocopy of valid passport
3. Passport photo
4. High school graduate certificate
5. High school academic transcript
How to Apply
CUCAS provides two kinds of application methods for international candidates to study English medium MBBS programs at China's universities. They can choose the quick and convenient online application system or the traditional offline application route-Apply via Email.
Online Application Procedures
To complete the online application process, you need to follow the four main sections below:
1. Click 'Apply Now' button on this page and login, if didn't have the account, register first.
2. Fill out the online application form with real and correct informaiton, including personal information, education background, language proficiency, etc.
If you're not sure how to fill out the form, please check if there are any instructions behind the blank.
3. Upload the required application materials
Please upload photocopies of required application materials according to the university's admissions criteria.
All the materials should be MS-Word (.doc), Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents, image files (.gif, .jpg), or compression files (.rar, .zip). Each file cannot exceed 8 MB (megabytes)
4. Make payment
CUCAS offers five types of payment methods. Please carefully select your preferred payment method and to make the payment.
Students who choose Western Union or Bank transfer as their payment method need to upload the payment receipt after you wire the money at the post office or bank.
5. Submit application
Please submit your application once the application fee is confirmed by CUCAS. To submit your application, please access My CUCAS-> My Applications by logging in CUCAS, click 'Continue' at 'Application Status' column, and go to the 'Submit Application' section. You will see a big 'Submit' button. Click the button and your application will be sent directly to the university.
Once you've submitted your application, please wait 2-4 weeks for the university to process your application. Once the university has made a decision, CUCAS will notify you by email. You can also track your application status by logging into your CUCAS account.
Offline Application Procedures
The steps for 'Apply via Email' are as follows:
1. Choose a MBBS program；
2. Click “Apply via Email” to download the fillable application form and documents;
3. Open forms in MS Word and fill in required information electronically, please make sure the information is accurate and correct to receive your JW 202 form;
4. Send us the completed form and other required application materials;
5. Pay the Application Fee and CUCAS Processing Fee, keep the receipt;
6. Send us the copy of receipt, and the school will process your application once receiving your bank receipt;
7. Check your application process via email periodically, and track with your admission status;
8. Wait for your admission notice from CUCAS within 5 workdays, and the JW 202 form will send to you in 2-6 weeks;
Email Address for MBBS Application: firstname.lastname@example.org