Xi'an Jiaotong University, a national key university under the direct jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education, is one of the country's oldest institutions of higher learning. Founded in Shanghai in 1896 as Nanyang Public, it was renamed Jiaotong University in 1921. In 1956, at the direction of the State Council, the university was moved to Xi'an, and renamed Xi'an Jiaotong University (XJTU). As one of the country's national key universities, it was included in the first group of universities singled out for high priority development under the country's seventh and eighth five year plans. It was also included in the first group of universities to benefit from Project 211 and Project 985, with the goal of becoming a world class university. Under a plan adopted by the State Council in April, 2000, the original Xi'an Jiaotong University was merged with the Xi'an Medical University and the Shaanxi Institute of Finance and Economics to form the new Xi'an Jiaotong University.
Xi'an Jiatong University, which is located in the city of Xi'an in Shaanxi province, has three campuses: the Xingqing campus, the Yanta campus and the Qujiang campus, covering a total area of 256.78 hectares. The total constructed area is 1.7623 million square meters. The “Qian Xuesen Library,” which is located on the Xingqing campus, incorporates nearly 40 thousand square meters and has 3518 reading seats. The library collections include 4.47 million books and 10,053 newspapers and periodicals, of which 4089 kinds are current periodicals. The library has also been adding to its digital collections, and has recently introduced 252 foreign electronic resources. Its holdings now include 28,639 electronic periodicals in Chinese and foreign languages and more than one million electronic books. The library's computer system is fully integrated with the campus network, CERNET, and the Internet. On and off-campus users can access the system via remote terminal or over the Internet. The university's computer network meets the highest international standards.
Today, Xi'an Jiaotong University is a comprehensive research university offering programs in nine areas—science, engineering, medicine, economics, management, art, law, philosophy and education—with a major emphasis on science and engineering. It includes 20 schools, eight undergraduate residential colleges, and eight affiliated teaching hospitals. XJTU has a faculty and staff of more than 5500, of which 2500 are full-time teachers, including over 1500 professors and associate professors. XJTU has a current enrollment of more than 30,000 full-time students, including over 13,000 masters and doctoral candidates. The university offers 78 undergraduate majors, and awards masters degrees in 200 disciplines and Ph.D. degrees in 115. Among these, there are 8 which are designated as first-order key disciplines by the Chinese government, and 37 which are designated as second–order key disciplines. In addition, 115 disciplines are recognized as key disciplines at the provincial and ministerial level. XJTU offers Master degrees 18 areas, including engineering, clinical medicine, business, and MPA; it has 20 research facilities for post-doctoral students, four national key laboratories, four national special laboratories, two national engineering research centers and 59 key research centers and laboratories at the provincial and ministerial level
Xi'an Jiaotong University has extensive ties to the world of international scholarship and research. Thirteen Nobel laureates, one Fields Prize winner and over 700 foreign professors have been invited to the campus to lecture. Over 10,000 scholars, CEOs, and high-level government officials from around the world have been involved in exchanges or other kinds of collaborative activity with Jiaoda. More than 1500 XJTU teachers and students have gone abroad to visit, study, do research, or participate in degree programs, and over 1300 faculty members, and researchers have traveled abroad for conferences. The university has conducted joint programs for both undergraduates and graduate students with nearly 20 outstanding universities in France, the US, Italy, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and Belgium.
XJTU is recognized by WHO and the graduates of MBBS program are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, MMC, NMC etc.
The 6-year duration is divided into 4 parts:
1. The 1st year is for basic courses and Chinese language courses, which are Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Anatomy, Terminology and Chinese Language course.
2. The following 2.5 years are composed of pre-clinical courses including: Computer Sciences, Computational Methods, Anatomy, Histology & Embryology, Pathology, Physiology, Immunology, Microbiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology etc.
3. The last 1.5 years are composed of clinical studies and rotations including: Diagnosis, Radiology, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics and Pediatrics.
4. There is 1 year internship in different departments of a recognized teaching hospital.
Note:The students will enjoy 6 weeks of summer vacation and 4 weeks of winter vacation annually.
There is 1 year internship in different departments of a recognized teaching hospital. Students can choose to do the intern in China, their own countries or any other country. The last year's tuition fee covers internship fee.
Tuition Fee: RMB 40,000
Application Fee: RMB 800
Registration Fee: RMB 400
Medical Insurance: RMB 600 per year
Accommodation: 8,200~9,500 per year (two-bed room)
Living Cost: about RMB 1,000/month (housing, food and transportation included). In Total: RMB 51,000~52,300 per year
MBBS Degree: On completing the requirements of the teaching program and passing the graduation examinations successfully, international medical undergraduates will be granted a graduation certificate and conferred a medical degree, if they meet the degree regulations of the university. The English copy of the degree will state MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Internship and Career
The internship starts from the last year with duration of 1 year. Students can choose to do it in China, their home country or any other country. The tuition for the last year covers the internship fee.
If students choose to do internship in China, you should pass HSK3, and the university will provide Chinese tutoring and organize Chinese Language Test to assure their language ability. The internship will be taken in the 3 affiliated hospitals of XJTU, which are provincial hospitals of Class A, Grade III, with a total of 3,376 beds.
The 3 affiliated hospitals are as below:
1. The first affiliated hospital, College of Medicine
2. The second affiliated hospital, College of Medicine
3. Stomatology hospital, College of Medicine
If students want to do the internship in other country, the school needs to do a qualification evaluation on the hospital which student chooses.
After obtaining MBBS Degree, the graduates can apply to take the medical licensing examination in the medical council in order to get registered and practice medicine. According to the regulations in different countries, the students may need to do the degree accreditation first. A MBBS degree holder can find jobs in government as well as private hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities. Except this, one can also start his own clinic or pursue study for master's degree.
Application Requirements and Materials
1. Under 30 years of age & with good health status.
2. Valid ordinary passport.
3. Graduate from high school.
1. Photocopy of your valid passport (Passport type must be ordinary)
2. Notarized copies of senior high school graduation diploma (Student expecting to graduate should provide an official letter declaring expected graduation date), either in Chinese or English.
3. Notarized copies of high school academic transcripts, including courses taken and standard achieved.
4. Two recent passport size photographs.
5. Certificate of no-crime record
How to Apply
CUCAS provides two kinds of application methods for international candidates to study English medium MBBS programs at China's universities. They can choose the quick and convenient online application system or the traditional offline application route-Apply via Email.
Online Application Procedures
To complete the online application process, you need to follow the four main sections below:
1. Click 'Apply Now' button on this page and login, if didn't have the account, register first.
2. Fill out the online application form with real and correct informaiton, including personal information, education background, language proficiency, etc.
If you're not sure how to fill out the form, please check if there are any instructions behind the blank.
3. Upload the required application materials
Please upload photocopies of required application materials according to the university's admissions criteria.
All the materials should be MS-Word (.doc), Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents, image files (.gif, .jpg), or compression files (.rar, .zip). Each file cannot exceed 8 MB (megabytes)
4. Make payment
CUCAS offers five types of payment methods. Please carefully select your preferred payment method and to make the payment.
Students who choose Western Union or Bank transfer as their payment method need to upload the payment receipt after you wire the money at the post office or bank.
5. Submit application
Please submit your application once the application fee is confirmed by CUCAS. To submit your application, please access My CUCAS-> My Applications by logging in CUCAS, click 'Continue' at 'Application Status' column, and go to the 'Submit Application' section. You will see a big 'Submit' button. Click the button and your application will be sent directly to the university.
Once you've submitted your application, please wait 2-4 weeks for the university to process your application. Once the university has made a decision, CUCAS will notify you by email. You can also track your application status by logging into your CUCAS account.
Offline Application Procedures
The steps for 'Apply via Email' are as follows:
1. Choose a MBBS program；
2. Click “Apply via Email” to download the fillable application form and documents;
3. Open forms in MS Word and fill in required information electronically, please make sure the information is accurate and correct to receive your JW 202 form;
4. Send us the completed form and other required application materials;
5. Pay the Application Fee and CUCAS Processing Fee, keep the receipt;
6. Send us the copy of receipt, and the school will process your application once receiving your bank receipt;
7. Check your application process via email periodically, and track with your admission status;
8. Wait for your admission notice from CUCAS within 5 workdays, and the JW 202 form will send to you in 2-6 weeks;
Email Address for MBBS Application: firstname.lastname@example.org